Wednesday, January 19, 2011

1. Under A Tree

It's just another ordinary day, sitting here in the school grounds with leaves falling to my hair from the stems above me. It's quite boring, trying to kill time by burying my face in the pages of my thick books.
Ahh, I just need a moment of rest. After hours of reading, putting my book down and resting my chin on top of it never feels this good.
Suddenly, my friend across me looks at me, seeing me looking miserable with a sleepy expression.
"Yah, are you just going to sit like that the whole day?" She asked me.
"Are you just going to read books and study your entire life?" I asked her back. She just gave me a smirk. "We've got a report to finish, if we don't finish by tonight, Bates is gonna get us. You know that, Jobes," She told me. Gosh, I hate it when she does that to me. But that's what I love about my friend. She thinks of what's best for the both of us.
"Alright," I said, sitting up straight with a hint of laziness.
I just looked at the things around me before continuing the research I was doing.
"Why are we here again?" I asked.
"What do you mean 'why are we here'? To do this report, of course," she told me.
"No, I mean, why.... heeere?" I asked again, this time pointing to where we are located.
"Huh?" She asked, looking puzzled with what I asked. I sighed.
"You've been burying you head in those books since you were born and you don't understand my simple question of 'why not in the library'. Jeez, Jess," I responded sarcastically.
"I just thought that it's nicer to work out here, you see, you can get more information and inspiration from the environment rather than sitting in a quiet noble place with stocks of books everywhere you turn to," she said.
"You got a point there." Okay, so I rest my case. She does have a point.
Jess just raised her eyebrows and pushed back her huge black-rimmed glasses.

So I sat for a while, and then returned to my books.
After a few moments, Jesse speaks while highlighting some words in the book.
"I'm hearing Son Dambi's Queen," She said without looking at me.
After hearing her say that, I quickly checked my bag and get my phone. I picked up.
"Speak." That's all I said. It's Andrew on the other line.
"Landmark?" He asked.
I looked around me and thought for a while, "Under a tree," I replied.
This time, I can see mouthing the words "who is that". So I mouthed "Andrew" back. She just raised her shoulders and went back to reading.
"There's a gazillion trees here in school just so you know, can you please be more specific?" Andrew asked me again.
I take a look at the tree and replied, "It's brown, green leaves, and is as tall as the world's tallest man who ever lived," I said.
I can see Jesse in front of me, trying to hold in her laughter.
"I'm looking, I'm looking," Andrew said, "Ah, there you two are," Andrew spoke from behind me.
"Good one, Andrew, you managed to find us out of the gazillion 'under-the-trees' here," I said.
"Ha ha, very funny. Besides, the leaves are brown," Andrew said as he sits beside me.
"Sorry, I'm color blind," I continued teasing him.
"Gosh, I feel like I'm such a loser," Andrew exclaimed to himself.
"Don't worry, you're still the BEST loser we've ever known," Jess said, and we laughed.
"What on earth happened, again?" I asked him.
"I tried asking Ji-eun for a date," Andrew said. "AND?" Jess continued.
"And I ended up complimenting her hair and make-up," Andrew finished.
Jess and I both looked like statues after hearing him say that. After a few seconds, we both laughed at what Andrew said.
"And now, she might think I'm gay!" Andrew said, while the two of us are still laughing.
"Aren't you?" I teased Andrew.
"Oh shut up, Jobes." He said.

After a few seconds of laughing, we gathered ourselves up and went back to what we were doing originally. This time, Andrew tries to help with our report, even though he's not part of our group.
While reading, a baseball suddenly hit me behind my head.
"Sorry!" I heard the culprit say. Must be a guy.
That hurt, A LOT.
The moment I turn around and find out who you are, you're dead meat.
I bent my body and reached for the ball on the ground. The moment I sit up again, I saw Jess staring straight at the man behind me. I wonder who it is that made Jess stare like that.
The moment I turned around, I froze. He was there looking at me with a smile in his face, but feeling apologetic for hitting the back of my head with a baseball.
"I'm sorry," he said.

It felt like the whole campus froze in that time frame.....

No comments:

Post a Comment